Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree required; Masters preferred
Minimum Experience: 3 years +
This is a full-time, 10-month teaching position for a dynamic, student-centered, success-oriented individual to plan, program, and teach Humanities in alignment with Middle School curricular objectives in courses for 5th and 6th grade. Humanities is an interdisciplinary course that bridges the study of literature, writing, geography, history, and cultures.
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly-skilled, dedicated individual to be a significant contributor to an outstanding faculty. He or she will work with other teachers and staff as a contributing team member to present a cooperative and positive work environment. Teachers at Charlotte Preparatory School maintain a learning environment that supports the school’s mission statement and upholds the four pillars of leadership – Respect, Integrity, Perseverance, and Courage.
Charlotte Preparatory School is committed to sustaining a professional, inclusive, and collaborative environment, where diversity in thought and culture is welcomed. The School is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment, and strongly encourages applications from candidates who reflect such diversity.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Duties of this job include, but are not limited to:
● Teach area of specialty to students, utilizing course of study adopted by Charlotte Preparatory School.
● Serve as Student Advisor to instruct students in citizenship and character development.
● Develop lesson plans and instructional materials to provide individualized and small group instruction, and
to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
● Maintain lesson plans and pacing schedules as part of curriculum mapping
● Use a variety of instructional strategies, such as inquiry, group discussion, lecture, discovery, etc to facilitate
higher-level thinking development.
● Translate lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
● Establish and maintain standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in
● Evaluate students’ academic and social growth, keep appropriate records, and prepare progress reports and
● Communicate with parents through conferences, phone calls, and e-mail to discuss students’ progress and
interpret the school program.
● Identify student needs and cooperate with other professional staff members to assess any learning issues
that may exist in a student, and to help those students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
● Maintain professional competence through professional growth activities.
● Participate cooperatively with the Head of Middle School to develop the method by which the teacher will
be evaluated in conformance with school guidelines.
● Supervise students in out-of-classroom activities during the school day, such as recess, lunch, and breaks.
● Participate in grade level, division, and full faculty meetings, and serve on school committees as required.
● Attend divisional and school-wide required events (e.g. prep-planning, open houses, conferences, etc.)
● Present a positive image of Charlotte Preparatory School to the outside community, including social
● Supervise students during field trips, dances, and other events
● Other duties as assigned by Head of Middle School or Head of School.
● Bachelor’s degree in English, History or related subject from an accredited university required; Masters or other advanced degree preferred.
● A minimum of 3 years of teaching experience in a middle school and independent school setting is preferred.
● Team orientation – able to work effectively with all members of the school, including the administrative team, other faculty members, parents, and students.
● Strong communication and organizational skills with high levels of attention to detail.
● Strong awareness of and facility with cultural competency and issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
● Positive, enthusiastic, flexible, and warm personality.
● Strong work ethic, proactive, and success-oriented.
Directly reports to the Head of Middle School.
Please direct resume, cover letter, and references to Evan Kurtz, Head of Middle School, firstname.lastname@example.org
Charlotte Preparatory School does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, or any other legally protected classification applicable to Charlotte Preparatory School in administration of its educational policies, employment policies, admissions policies, financial aid, athletic and other school-administered programs. Candidates from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Charlotte Latin School
Date Posted: January 16, 2022
Job Type: Full Time
The Harpeth Hall School
Date Posted: January 14, 2022
The New Community School